Thursday, December 24, 2009

Books on hand

I've been reading two books "simultaneously" - no, not one book in each hand the way Karen used to as a cild because both were so good she didn't want to put either down - but rather "iteratively" - one book for a while, then the next one.

One book is Muriel Barbery's "The elegance of the hedgehog", which itself is two juxtaposed stories, one written by the concierge of an expensive Paris apartment building, and the other by a 12-year old who lives in the building. The book is translated from French, and reminds me of all that is "highbrow" in French philosophy and culture. But it also pokes fun of such culture itself. Thus I can give it an ironic read.

The other is a new book on Design Thinking edited by Thomas Lockwood of DMI. The chapters are written by various consultants and academics who understand the consultant's perspective. I think it will be beneficial to read the whole book to acquire the perspective of design consultants who work in the enterprise environment. I must take notes. It is probably just as important to understand the landscape of the design consultants as it is the content of their messages.

And in between there are the daily tasks -- which is why I hop from book to book by
using the "task interruptions." Playing, shopping, talking, checking email, and so on.


We watched the movie Julia/Julie in the evening (I'd already read the book.) Mary was
surprised to hear I have a "first printing" -
or at least an early one -- of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (the book is now in the 49th printing). I noticed Mary doesn't own one among all her cookbooks. Now, because I like to follow original sources, I suppose I should read "My life in France". (Maybe there's even a book about making the movie, but I think I will forego that!)

Tis blog is quite and advertisement for Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment