Saturday, December 26, 2009

The other side of Christmas Day

I've finished "The elegance of the hedgehog". I read it too quickly to savor all the references to Proust and Tolstoy, but those authors aren't really "my thing" anyway. But the book was engaging -- the fact that I finished it in three days attests to that. The ending was a bit disappointing -- the pieces all came together a little too neatly, rather as if the author had suddenly tired of writing.

As to my other book, I'm finding it very hard going. I hoped it would enlighten me to the consultant's perspective on design thinking. I suppose it has -- it's all the rhetoric of the enterprise ideology and, so far, little else. The case study examples are so banal as to be useless. Am I to believe that no-one struggled over any concepts, and there were no tensions or contradictions as part of the process? A while ago when Ulla suggested I should take on the editorship of a Business & Design Lab book on Design Thinking from the Business and Design Lab, I pooh-poohed the notion, saying, "That's old hat." But, after grinding my way through (actually I'm only about a third of the way through) a book on the topic published in November 2009, I have a different perspective myself. Maybe delving into the epistemology and ontology of the concept is not. More thinking and talking are needed.

Meanwhile, Jack and Ethan made a super balloon-dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment