Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Reconnecting -- October 3-12.


My 10 days in Sweden were as if it had not been 18 months since I was last there! It was good to be back living on the island of Ockero and working at the University of Gothenburg.

I was greeted warmly by previous colleagues Marcus and Anna, met others such as Katerina whom I had known only virtually before, and newcomers such as Ram and Kristopher. The Ph.D. seminar was an opportunity to see colleagues Lisbeth and Rachel from elsewhere in Europe -- and to experience a "Dumpster Dive" in addition to acquiring and sharing knowledge. I celebrated the news that the Business and Design Master's program was listed in the BusinessWeek top 30 design schools.

The 10 days went by too fast. I presented my credentials to Vice-Dean of the School of Business Economics and Law, Maureen McKelvey (who was born in Seattle and grew up in Texas), reinstated my library privileges, and acquired a GU e-address. The commands are all in Swedish, so I'm not sure what is happening to my messages!

I did learn a new word - fika. - Here's the cafe across the street from the Business & Design Lab where everyone stops to buy coffee and a delicious pastry for fika. (Next visit I'll make your mouth water with photos of the selection)





And -- biggest news of all -- the day I left the announcement was made that Ulla will be the first Professor in Design Management in Sweden!

No comments:

Post a Comment