Monday, October 26, 2009

Why my interest in design?

It's a parallel situation to how I accidently became an academic. Back then, I was trying to effect radical scale change in a non-profit, but no matter what I tried (including suggestions from at least two consultants), nothing worked. So, I decided more theory was needed-and several
years later I had a Ph.D. and an academic career.

I was content being a management scholar. But then the ironic ladies wrote the conference paper on Mary Parker Follett (based on our shared experience in the Great Books course at UMass). The 2007 European Academy of Design Conference in Turkey was a transforming experience . I was fascinated by
design thinking -- it just made intuitive sense. So, when I needed to lead an effort to radically change the Welch College of Business MBA program, I wanted to use design thinking. But no one else "got it" -- they were all analytical and linear. And the change attempt was a failure (again!). I didn't need more, but different theory. So, when Ulla offered me the opportunity to become affiliated with the Business and Design Lab, that was all the invitation I needed! I'm back to the reason why academic life was so appealing -- the opportunity to do research and engage with interesting people. I wonder where this iteration of my life will lead me!

Certainly to the library -

No comments:

Post a Comment