Saturday, October 16, 2010

Guayaquil, Ecuador

This city is characteristic of Ecuador's state of "becoming" - just what remains to be seen. But the currency is the US dollar, so that may be a sign. The plane from NY, a 767, was full of Ecuadorians returning home ( with the exception of a handful of Anglos like us). as the plane touched down everyone started clapping, then there was much laughter and high-spirited conversation among strangers in the long linewaiting for immigration. Jack and I have never seen anything like it! And tomorrow, when we fly within Ecuador there are no restrictions on carrying liquids and things like that - in fact I wonder if there will even be a security check! yet there's a policeman on every corner in the tourist district.

This morning we dealt with travel details and repacking our bags for different parts of the trip. After lunch we took a taxi through the old part of town (reminded me of the favellas in Rio) to the renovated section. We climbed 440 steps (numbered) to a lighthouse on the top of the hill. Then we walked along the waterfront to Iguana Park where there were many almost tame iguanas basking in the sun - no, I should say they were in a pose that helps them keep cool in the hot sun. I tried to coax an iguana to come to my hand -- you'll have to wait for the photo. And we're not even in the Galapagos yet. Finally we watched families entering the cathedral for 4 pm mass. Everyone was wearing their best - and children, from toddlers to 10 year-olds were wearing white. The girls were in tulle dresses and the boys in white satin 3 piece suits. Could they all be having first communion, or is that the custom in the cathedral?

I'm back in the land of flan!

I couldn't resist two photos (travel rule is one per page) - the contrast between old and new is so striking. The two communities are on opposite sides of a hill.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed about the clapping. It reminded my first flight from Lima to Cusco in 1990. I think it was a common thing for the passengers at that time. Of course, it happened ONLY if the plane touched down with a little of vibrations/shaking for the passengers. However, in the last flights to Lima, and other SouthAmerican cities I did not see passengers clapping. Enjoy !!!

    ReplyDelete