Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Confused or vacuous

I am experiencing the same feelings of confusion as I have during a phase of ethnographic fieldwork - a sense of needing to capture everything, then not having adequate time to write up my field-notes and reflect before rushing back into the field. But why this feeling, I'm not doing any ethnographic work, even if I have plans to do so during my next visit to Gothenburg? Perhaps it is the result of participating in a number of conferences and having the genesis of new research work from each, and being afraid I'll lose the kernel of inspiration from one even as I gain new insight from another. This is a pleasant dilemma - I should apply the rigor of field work and sit "at the door of my tent" (apologies to Clifford and Marcus) and make notes on one before moving to the next, and not visiting anything new until I have at least skeleton notes.

From EGOS, a message from one of the participants has my head spinning in the words of D-K theories of design and their relation to intuitivist theories of mathematics; how can this illuminate an ironic perspective on design thinking? From the Convergence conference, an email survey has me reflecting on the motivation for the questions; is this a political move? From the Hono Art, Design and Organization workshop, my promised graphic novel generates at least a couple of frames a day; they evaporate whenever I stop to put pencil to paper. And from my blog, a hundred photos from Lisboa clamoring for space and story; tomorrow I will give them full attention.

Finally, from my garden, the portulaca have thrived in the heatwave -- and I have just learned that the plants are edible. There's my answer, "Eat, blog, and ... ."


No comments:

Post a Comment