Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Appreciation - and realization

This evening while I enjoyed the annual Apprentice Concert at Sarasota Opera, I realized just how much work is required to become a master artist - in any branch of the arts. And all the support needed -- backstage is like the submerged part of the iceberg, 90% supporting the piece that is "for show". It didn't make me despondent about my own efforts in "the art of drawing" - I've always said I wanted to learn about the process of drawing and the process of learning to draw, and never belived that I would be able "to draw." I'm also reminded of our drawing instructor's answer last week to the question of, "When did you know you had something worthwhile?" He said it was about two years after college that he realised that, "Yes, I can do this." I'm not depressed, just flabbergasted at what (some) "business people" think they can accomplish in the wink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment