Saturday, March 19, 2011

Unexpected pleasures


Jack's baseboard painting project and my never-ending tussle with layout and design of Chapter 3 kept us both at our work stations this morning, but after an early lunch we headed for the Asian Cultural Festival at the Selby Gardens. Given my current post-colonial sesnibilities I wondered just what was in store, but was pleasantly (or naively?) surprised by various Asian groups enjoying sharing their culture with visitors. I understood the large following of the Bonsai Club - oops, I mean sho fu - of Sarasota, and the pastime of "Asian group solitaire" -- my orientalist term for mah jongg, but was perplexed by Caucasians who felt the need to belong to the Komono Club and parade around under a paraosol.


Two activities made my afternoon. First, a demonstration of Sumi-e or "bamboo painting". I was fascinated by the skill involved in using a single brush and a few strokes to create an
aesthetically pleasing painting.

Second, a performace by Matsuriza Taiko Drummers that began with a bow of thanks to Americans who were sending help to the Japanese in their need following the earthquake, and continued with a mesmerizing show of prescision drumming by the troupe of two men and six women. For some reason I can't upload my video, so you'll have to take my word for it, or look for them on YouTube!

Finally, a super-full moon to end the day. Which one is the moon, and which the streetlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment