Friday, March 4, 2011

As promised -

Here's the kitchen
















And the floor
Next (last??) decision = wallpaper. (Tomorrow's task.)

Report on class: The crit of our abstractions of the Raft of the Medusa was fascinating -- each person had approached the subject differently with quite different results, yet they all clearly depicted the painting. One person did a values study using watercolor magic ma
rkers, another took the lines of the study and created fluid shapes using charcoal, while a third researched the story of the painting and represented it using detailed angular form
s and the three color values. My first attempt with large triangles to indicate groups of people with hope (white), despair (black), and indifference (grey) was considered quite OK (and only I complained about the "sausages" for storm clouds!) One person credited me with creating a literary interpretation of the scene! My other attempt was not successful, mainly because my color values werenot sufficiently distinct.

The class lesson was on "gesture drawing" with practice from a student who volunteered to to take several 30 second poses,
and then time to draw each other.









Brian circulated to give individual instruction. My work reminded him of Matisse (good line), but I need to "get inside" the movement of the gesture, and understand basic anatomical proportions. (So that's my personal development plan). We have lots of homework because next week is spring break. I enjoy doing the quick gesture sketches - - if I try to draw a single piece for a long while I become frustrated with my lack of technique. Besides, patience was never one of my virtues.

1 comment: