Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New books = inspiration

This afternoon the USPS delivered two books ordered from Amazon: One, Lawrence Weschler's "true to life", had been recommended by my drawing instructor when I asked for something to read to go along with the course, explaining that in my discipline of management, students are always assigned reading between classes. Already I've found inspiration - in the first chapter when David Hockney talks about creating photo collages, he says, "Relative importance, not accuracy was what I was trying to convey. Which is to say, the entire process was just like drawing." Ahha! a key to developing style! I've been trying sooo hard to draw things "right". I must think instead of what I value in the scene. (Probably easier said than done!)

The other book, Ellen Dissanayake's "What is art for?", turned up in some of my Googling around, and I intend to use it as inspiration for a panel in graphic novel chapter 3 - expert views on art, design, and management.

Tomorrow the temperature is forecast to be close to 80F (27C) and I anticipate a pleasant afternoon reading on the beach -- my only dilemma is how to read both books simultaneously!

No comments:

Post a Comment