Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ready to draw - ready to learn

I don't think the next 10 Thursday evenings will turn me into Leonardo - but I do expect to have a lot of fun. And to learn in new ways. I joined 8 other "mature" students (7 women, 1 man), of varying competences and experience, though I am the only one who has never drawn before. The instructor, Brian Haverlock, is great! Today, after everyone had introduced themselves and he questioned us about our interests and goals, we worked on shape, line. placement, movement, and figure/ground relationships, first using examples from some contemporary artists (pictures projected on screen) and then in drawing a still life of a box, vase with flowers, and jug. We did two 5-minute drawings, then two 2-minute drawings, with a line-up of output and crit after each. Highest praise for one of my efforts was that it looked Matisse-like. You could have fooled me! We have to bring in "something we're working on" for next week. I'm not sure what that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment