Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Countdown to "going nomad"

We plan to begin our trek south to Sarasota on Friday. It's been a couple of years since we've driven down for an extended stay, and we're preparing in an organized fashion. All the electronics, (flatscreen tv and stereo system from our Fairfield condo) were packed first; getting them south was the first priority. Next my books and work-in-process. Of course I have grandiose plans for reading and writing, that's part of the fun of anticipation. And if I don't finish (everything or anything) -- so be it. I spoke with Ulla today -- she's in Abdu Dhabi en route back from Australia -- and she has thought of new projects to add to our ongoing collection. So I need to find space for a few new/different books! Yet to be packed are essentials like clothes (just how warm will it be?) and everyday electronics (at least two computer bags). If we don't stop finding stuff to take we'll be adding a roof rack before we know it!

I've speeded up with my reading of Schon's Reflective Practitioner. at first I enjoyed going really slowly, savoring every example. Even though I've had a copy of the book since I took a class in the School of Ed @ UMass- Amherst in the early 90s I think this is the first time I've sat down to read it from cover to cover. I'm making notes after every chapter -- and insisting that I read the whole chapter before I make notes -- which slows down the process more. I'll be interested to read my notes all the way through when I've finished -- will they be helpful, or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment