Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Time in New Haven

Today I had few hours to spare in New Haven. First I went to the "Continuous Present" exhibition at the Yale University Art Gallery. It was just one room, with paintings, sculpture, drawings, photography, and video by 11 artists. Each piece, in one way or another conceptualized "time, interrupted!"

I enjoyed it tremendously. Partly because of my own interest in "time" from my early doctoral work at UMass, but also because my own "time orientation" IS the present -- I care little for the traditions of the past, and have no need to expect a "better" future in the way of the modernists. (This reflection may put me at odds with one of my potential re-design role models from yesterday's post.) Each piece was different, and could be enjoyed -- or not -- without comparison with similar pieces. I especially enjoyed Rodney Graham's short film, "City self/Country self." The New York Times art critic found it "visually captivating, but unresolved." Isn't that the continuous present?

It is, according to the exhibition curator's notes. And, according to another scholar, it reveals the artist's multiple identities. No wonder I watched it more than once!

Then I walked past the Yale Colleges on Elm Street and the New Haven Green, remembering with a shock that I had once worked for a consulting firm with offices that overlooked the Green,


and into the New Haven Public Library.





I'd intended to work on my reviews for the EAM that are due next week, but instead I was enticed by all the books. I selected a couple to take with me, but the circulation librarian told me my Fairfield Library card was out of date (it had 2005 on the back) and therefore I could not have the books. No matter that I used it in the Mystic Library a couple of months ago! "The small towns don't pay attention to such details," she said. "We do."

Guess where I plan to go tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment