Monday, January 4, 2010

Role models

Today I tried to find a role model for my new identity. Whom do I admire? As an adolescent my heroine was Marie Curie (I was always a nerd!). But I'm no longer into the scientific experiment stuff. Possible candidates are two women who wear their age gracefully and excel at role-playing, Judi Dench and Angela Landsbury. Knowing that Landsbury played Jessica Fletcher, fictional author of detective stories, for many years, should I look to Agatha Christie - the creator of Jane Marple, the Swedish gang's nickname for me (see earlier bog posting)? Hmm, if I don't want to spend my days writing mysteries, maybe I should search in the "design thinking community." I could pick Robyn Waters, whom I met at the DMI conference in Boston. I admired her skill for making sense and speaking eloquently about the chaos about her. We certainly share a curiosity for examining trends and paradoxes, and I did once aspire to a yellow Hummer with a Smart Car in the back!

Which one shall I select? Stepping back, as an ironist, I do not espouse a fixed identity, instead relying on multiple and shifting identities to be used one at a time as best fits the current mode. All I know is that to survive such fragmentation I must, and do, have a strong moral compass at my core. Does that mean I can choose from among these women according to the task at hand?

So much for simply slipping into the shoes of another -- tomorrow I'll search elsewhere.

And, btw, I finished the 3000 word EGOS paper today (It's 2998 words, including selected references).

No comments:

Post a Comment