Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reading stories to write stories

I have two new books - and I'm reading them simultaneously -- well, sequentially with frequent switches. I'm enjoying both -- though they are in different genres, as I would say in academic-speak. The troll tales are for inspiration for my graphic novel, and I'm coming to the realization that my troll is far too benign - I must give him a dark side to his character. The qualitative research book is for a paper that Ulla and I are constructing out of almost nothing for a conference in Helsinki next May. We had planned to do some interviews when I was in Gothenburg last September, but did not do as many as we had hoped, so we really have very little data to analyze and report. Never mind, our contribution will be the design of a much more involved study, building on the first part. The problem now is that the study design begins to sound a lot more like a full-blown research project rather than a "quick and dirty" project. A little reading goes a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment