Thursday, November 19, 2009

The difference that makes a difference

8 AM and I was at work - at a BDL (Business & Design Lab) meeting about a paper for the Design Management Review. There were 6 of us - 4 in Gothenburg, 1 in Stockholm and 1 in Connecticut -- connected via group Skype. Ulla had some initial thoughts, Ana, Markus, and Katerina had ideas for the different sections, I kept us focused on a practitioner piece, and Mary-Jo came up with the title. Now everyone is writing a short piece, then Ulla and I will create the one page proposal due before the end of November. If it's accepted, the 3000 word paper is due for a March edition. This is an interesting collaboration: industrial designers, an artist, a critical feminist, and an ironist, or broken down in a different way: doctoral students, an established professor, a post-doc, a rogue researcher, and a visiting professor. Quite a diverse group! That's why we're writing about stereotypes and meaningful differences.

Crisis midday when I discovered that I had been eliminated from the Sacred Heart University system so could no longer access the library. What a terrible shock! IT support couldn't help me, so it was Lynda to the rescue with an email to "Sys-Op". Apparently a request from the Registrar to remove my name from a distribution list was misinterpreted as "remove from across all systems." Poof! and I was gone! So far efforts to reinstate me have not been successful. I hope I'll be back tomorrow.

The other major accomplishment of the day was the F-pie, no, not swearing, but Frozen Marble. Ingredients were cream, butter, chocolate, sugar, sherry -- it had to taste good!
But I had trouble adding the melted chocolate to the whipped cream, egg white, and sugar so the "marble" wasn't as much of a contrast as it should have been. The result earned a "3 pie" rating (out of 5)

1 comment: