Sunday, November 15, 2009

Intersections - or clashes?

Today my three of my current writing projects clashed - and crashed. Just as I was finishing a Skype conversation with Ulla about our abstract, "In praise of fads," for a DMR article (due 11/23) and a "state of the BDL" brochure/CD to be in print by the middle of April, Diana was at my door to work on "wicked problems" symposium proposal (due 12/7). By the time she left there was something in my email from Jeanie for our meeting tomorrow to finish our "worldview rubric" paper (due 11/20). The rest of the day my mind flitted from one project to another -- as soon as I started developing a line of reasoning for one, I'd convince myself that one of the other projects should have priority, so I moved on -- and kept on moving round the triangle. Truth be told, I' was at the stage of bouncing ideas about, not yet ready to write, so I might as well juggle with three balls as just toss one up in the air and catch it.

Fortunately I had a diversion this afternoon - Brahms Requiem with the Hartford Symphony Orchestra and Hartford Chorale. No clashes there! The conductor, Constantine Kitsopoulos, is a candidate for the Music Director position. He's the first of seven (5 men, 2 women) who will be visiting over the next two years. I think it takes about 5 years from the start of a serach to the new conductor being installed -- even longer than a Dean search!


No comments:

Post a Comment