Friday, November 6, 2009

How to write a great scholarly article .... ?

A fascinating article in today's Wall Street Journal prompted me to think about the process of scholarly writing. Academics probably have habits much like those of the novelists featured in the article. Me? I set aside two hours to write each morning, then if I work for one and a half hours and actually write for an hour, I've done well. It's after breakfast and after I've scanned my emails for anything important/interesting from the other side of the pond, but I try to be disciplined about not spending too long on the internet. And when I think I've finished for the day, I force myself to write just a bit more -- just a few thoughts, or an outline, or "notes to self", so I have something in process to pick up the next day. If I'm on deadline, or my writing juices are flowing, I'll continue after this mandatory period, or take it up again later in the afternoon. A workday without committing at least a sentence to whatever is in process is a day of shame.
The authors in the wsj article all have strategies for dealing with writer's block. I have my postcard displays. Followers of my sabbatical blog may remember the plastic pocket perpetual calendar from the Tate Modern that I use for themed displays from my ever-growing postcard collection. All last academic year it had the same collection of postcards that grandchildren Alexis and Ethan selected. I had no energy or inspiration to change them

Now it sports a selection for my "front burner" writing on assessment of worldview, and I glance to my left at the various doorways in buildings in different countries when I look up from the keyboard. A few moments reflecting on my visit to a particular spot is sufficient to clear my head and get me back on task.

Because the photo-holders are clear plastic, I can reverse the display for inspiration related to wicked problems and hybrid thinking - the symposium a group of us are developing for the EAM meeting next May

Wicked problems/hybrid thinking was a tough topic for selecting postcards. I imagine I will change cards every day I am working on the project. So for mow I think I'll stick with worldview!

How are YOU inspired to write -- whatever your genre?

And thanks to Jack for lending me his camera.

1 comment:

  1. glad to see the postcards return. the wicked problems side looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete