Thursday, May 6, 2010

Work-life balance

I've been thinking about how I still seem to get work-like tasks jumbled up, or not evenly paced, or something. After a few days of intense work, I was resolved to pace things better. I looked forward to a trip to Fairfield yesterday to join members of the management department present and past in honoring department chair Mary as she stepped down from that position. It was fun to see everyone -- but they have definitely become "former colleagues". I used the pronoun "you" rather than "we" when referring to the college without even thinking about it. But it's been almost a year -- well, 10 months -- since I made my decision to step away. Still no regrets. And I do put that question to myself every so often. Maybe the next milestone will be when I realize I haven't asked myself that question in months.

Talking of colleagues -- I wonder how I will react when I'm back at in Gothenburg in 10 days time. The book I'm editing for the Business & Design Lab is the cause of lack of balance on the work side. After a day of goofing off yesterday I had way too much to deal with in the evening, and today was little better because I needed to act as Jack's driver while he had a medical procedure. And so it goes ... the work still piles up! But the fun of life does manage to entice me -- and that's a sign of redesign progress.

Apologies for this rambling introspective post. I'll try for something snappy tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment