Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday slog

I worked as hard/long as I have for a long while on two "intense" projects. One is a final revision for a book chapter with the need to shorten the text by 1000 words (7,500 to 6,500). The project does not have good vibes for a number of reasons, including prior (lack of) editorial reviews and a wild-goose chase for some professional help, and it was tough to get started and stay on track. Once I overcame the activation energy hurdle I made good progress and I'm hopeful I'll finish the job by Thursday when it is due. Tomorrow I have to write some new text, which may mean some rearranging of the current argument. I'll be happy when it's finished.

The other project is the detailed manual work of my design assignment. I thought I would alternate between this and the writing task, but it didn't work out that way. I've made piles of colored paper in various combinations; now I need to actually cut out the parts of the design and see if I can create the effect I have in my head. Once I know if/that I CAN do it, the project will become fun again as I see it taking shape in final -- not imaginary -- form.

And that sums up my whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment