Sunday, April 11, 2010

Penultimate Pie



#25 Uncle Hip's Favorite Apple Pie.
Val sent me the recipe back in the Fall when my alphabet pie quest was new news, but I couldn't find the varieties of apples called for in the recipe. By the time I realized that the only place to get them was Vermont at a certain time of year, I had a list of plenty of other pies to bake. So now, with only 2 to go, I looked up the apple varieties in Wikipedia and tried to purchase cultivars (new word here!) that tasted similar


The pie earned the highest rating -- 5 pies -- from the chief judge.






Now only the N pie remains. I have a recipe for a Nesselrode pie, but I have doubts about its appeal.

What do do afterwards? I have decided to hold a 5-pie bakeoff. So far 6 pies have earned this coveted rating (#26 may join them, but I am doubtful.) I'll make all 6 again, and they will be evaluated on a 10-pie scale. The process will continue until THE pie remains!

Other news pales in comparison with this trivia:
My Skype connection to the design class did not work. Apparently the prof could not load Skype onto the classroom computer. Too bad. I'll wait for my crit via email.
Worked hard on a grant application to go to East Africa. Due tomorrow. Not sure when we will hear.
And for those of you still interested in the Space Shuttle launch, Jack posted his pictures -- click here to view.



No comments:

Post a Comment