Friday, February 5, 2010

More design homework

I had nightmares last night about my design class -- I was totally unable to complete the homework and had to drop the course ... then I had to face my colleagues at the Business & Design Lab!

So today I settled down to work. First I made the final figure-ground board; I cut out the shapes using the white mock-up as a pattern, and battled with the rubber cement to glue the on the matt board. This was a relatively easy task because it was one big shape and a few small ones. Jack, at least, was impressed with the result.
Here's a photo of "Chalice/Avatar".
While out on errands I purchased a few additional supplies -- new Xato blades, scotch tape that can be easily removed, and a set of french curves. Reinforced, I started to work on the final two boards: Equal amounts of black and white, but one has to look as if there is more black, and the other as if there is more white. I made my prototypes in reverse, using white computer paper to experiment with different designs on a piece of black paper cut to the size of the matt board.

First, my crude conceptualization. The white-on-black needed the white pieces to "float" on the black background. First I cut the white paper into strips and made squares and rectangles. Somehow I was able to position them all on the board so no edges touched. But the design had no "message" or beauty.




I went to the internet for inspiration (the instructor suggested we do so), and found an interesting example. Then, using my new tools I tried my own interpretation. I'm too unskilled in technique and impatient in temperament to make a really beautiful design.
I'll wait till tomorrow to see if I think of anything else, or use one of the two prototypes. Either one will be an exercise in very sticky fingers! (Readers, if you have an opinion, let me know by a comment!)

Last one. I decided that conceptually the black on white needs to have the black as the foreground and be a very "anchored" design. Here's my prototype. I can make it more
interesting, or maybe tomorrow I will come up with something else. I've done enough for today. Besides, I have snips of white and black paper everywhere!






Meanwhile, Jack completed his "Ikea project."








No comments:

Post a Comment