Thursday, February 18, 2010

No imagination

I'm back to reading Bryan Lawson and Kees Dorst's book, "Design Experience" and finding it quite relevant to my current struggles in the design class. They write about the lack of a textbook for an introductory design course because it is impossible to teach design through concepts. They mention others like me who look for theories or a set of rules for how to go about the process of designing, and conclude that this is just not the way design works. "Design situations are not amenable to pure step by step logic but require the application of imagination. ... design proceeds more often by introduction of knowledge about things that might work rater than by theories about how to get from problems to solutions." (p124)

Clearly my imagination has left me because no matter how hard I try I have been unable to come up with a satisfactory solution to my logo problem! I sent the instructor as SOS email to day -- I haven't heard back from him; maybe he thinks I'm a hopeless case! Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment