Thursday, March 18, 2010

#!!@#% - color assignment

The day started well enough. An hour writing - well at least starting and structuring the "Research note on a better paradigmatic partnership between design and management." Then off about town on various errands. We're in the early planning stages of what promises to be quite a major redo -- all because the foyer and kitchen linoleum badly needs replacing. We headed for Home Depot to get a sense of prices and current styles in appliances, sinks and faucets, bathroom fixtures, cabinets .... etc. (I told you the project was growing by leaps and bounds.) The good news is that we have no time to do anything before we leave town; the bad news is that we didn't get very far with our investigative mission - and still took all morning!

After lunch I settled down to work on my third color assignment. After completing the Great Wall yesterday I knew that was not the design for the requirements of the project, so I returned to the water lily. (My first ideas are often best.) I worked with the cool palette, revising my
selection of 8 colors several times, and tried a new cutting technique. Here's the pattern on the left, my design on the right. Apart from a break to take a beach walk, and time for supper, I worked steadily till 9:30 PM.
It took longer than I expected,

and I still have some cleaning up and re-cementing to do (That can wait for Sunday morning.) I'm having some technique issues with cutting the colored paper -- it I don't cut absolutely clean, I tend to get little burrs of the white backing to the color. It looks as if it's the board showing through the design, but that's not so.

Tomorrow I need to do two more lilly designs -- one in a warm palette and one in a saturated palette. I hope the project goes faster!

1 comment:

  1. I like your water lily. Can't wait to see the other color combos.

    You mentioned leaving town...are you set to head north sometime?
    M

    ReplyDelete