Sunday, March 7, 2010

No class today; instead ...

It's Spring Break at the Ringling College of Art and Design, so this afternoon I took advantage of the warm sunshine and read on the beach. I had 6 books in hand -- two "resident" in my reading bag, Herbert Simon's "The Sciences of the Artificial", a design "foundational classic" that I am finding incredibly hard going, and my "free reading book, "The kitchen boy: A novel of the last Tsar" by Robert Alexander. Then yesterday afternoon my latest order arrived from Amazon: Josef Alber's "Interaction of color", required reading for my Design Fundamentals II class, the DK Guide, "Top 10 Lisbon" in anticipation of our visit for the EGOS Colloquium at the the end of June, and Judith Butler's "Gender Trouble", so I can be appropriately informed on the epistemological underpinnings of the BDL before the Invited Conference at Case Western in mid-June. as if that wasn't a diverse enough group of books to even absorb the forwards or prefaces, Otto von Busch sent me the "pocket version (aka paperback) of his dissertation, "fashion-able: Hactivism and engaged fashion design." That book looks the most interesting of the bunch! (What is the world--or Jill--coming to, reading a dissertation for fun?)

After a while the afternoon seabreeze became too chilling, and we retreated to our favorite spot by the pool. Then, when prudence said I'd had sufficient sun -- it was my first day in shorts, after all -- I came back to the computer to finish the publication proofing tasks for our OMJ article (Starting with Howard Gardner's five minds, adding Elliott Jaques's responsibility time span:Implications for undergraduate management education -- a paper that has been as long in process as the length of the name implies.) 31 changes to the text, marked appropriately with English proofing symbols and listed in detail in a separate word document, plus detailed responses to 13 queries later, I read the cover email again for the return address. "Make all changes in black ink" read the very last line of two pages of instructions -- and mine were all in the blue ink preferred for legal documents. Oh H- - -!

Clearly a change of pace was called for -- namely the H pie -- Honey Crunch Pecan. Jack gave it 5 stars; I'd say 4 -- it lacked subtlety and only tasted of sweet pecans.








After enjoying the pie I copied all the OMJ20104 entries in black in and shipped the proofs. No time left to finish the Follett Giant chapter that Ulla and I have been sending back and forth all weekend. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment