Monday, March 15, 2010

Decisions, decisions ...

No academic work today :( Instead I "let my mind float" as I thought about my next color assignment. In a nutshell, I have to create "an interesting design" and then make it in five different color palettes. More later about the colors: first I need a design that I can craft in 5-8 different colors. I want a design that is meaningful to me, one that challenges my craft, but also one that I can make.

Yesterday I had no ideas. This morning I thought of water lilies and rummaged through my ephotos for pictures from the Rio Botanical Gardens (huge tray-like leaves) and the Selby Gardens (I'd only taken the carp, not the lilies.) I spend a good while on Google selecting images of a single lilly and worked out I would need seven different colors. But later I was dissatisfied -- water lilies are so commonplace (think Monet), and I'm sure one of the examples the prof showed us yesterday from other students was of a waterlily of something similar.

What else might I use? How about the Blue Mosque? Interesting architecture, but not suitable for this type of design. Back to my flower collections -- here's a nice bird of paradise.
Hmm, not sure. I need to think about the number of colors.
How about the Great Wall of China? Our visit there was when photos were hardcopy, but Google provided some examples. Would I need too many colors? Would it still look like
the Great Wall?


I'll have to give the project more thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment