Friday, March 12, 2010

Colors in place

A second rainy day -- and unless spending more than an hour in the New Balance store buying new shoes counts as the real thing, no walking for exercise today.

Lady Rubber Cement was in residence all afternoon -- and the results are arguably worthy of a one woman exhibition!






I'm pleased with my Bezold Effect assignment: my analogy to my "other life" is that the process was like struggling with data analysis, and finding a path that created a good, plausible story. Here are the two boards: both have the same triangular design of three colors, pale yellow and two tints of warm red. The background is a cool green tint on one, a cool red on the other.
I'm less satisfied with my Four Seasons Project, The analogy here was reaching a point where in my heart of hearts I knew I should start over looking at the data afresh, but instead I kept tweeking the analysis in the hopes if finding an "ahha" story. It didn't happen, but I'd spent enough time on the project and let it fall where it may in the crit.

Here are my boards. Assignment: "Four colors, four designs, in four separate pieces where all of the original colors are used in each design." When I couldn't find a way to represent the four seasons using roughly similar sized pieces, I decided on a "bar code" effect. After trying three different widths I settled on two, then, wanting to use the "four seasons", chose morse code for the first two letters of each season to create the pattern. At first the parallel lines were all 4 inches long, then I kept making them smaller -- until I decided enough was enough.

On the left are AUtumn and Winter; on the right SPring and SUmmer. (Photos do not reproduce colors well.)

The symbolism is too complex -- The design could definitely be better It's an example of " over -analysis without extra benefit" if I want to draw on my other experience.

Now I can return to my logo assignment -- and I have an idea for my simple personal logo.

In the meantime, Jack ferreted out how to get to Bose Idaho for Labor Day festivities. (Lurking followers, that one's for you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment