Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Crit (2)

My design prof was "in awe" of my Personal Crest and Logo designs. He said I got the award for the most improved student of all time, and yes, I could put it on my resume!

My Crest demonstrated all the design principles covered in the class and my craft was excellent. My Logo conveyed the essence of the crest -- and when I asked about my problem with the connection between the J and W he suggested drawing -- and cutting -- this part of the design again so it was more naturally like my handwriting. It "worked" on the crest, but the logo did not have the same flair.

I was pleased.

My color assignment garnered praise too. The morse code symbolism was great - a blending of science and design, and the irregularities in the hand cut strips were part of the charm of the design. I explained that I had made the strips shorter after reading Albers and he said that I displayed the concept of surroundness well. My Bezold effect was good too -- and he again praised me for my craft (I said that a protractor and a pair of sharp scissors worked wonders!) and the 3-dimensional effect I had created.

The other student (there were only two of us in class this week) had quite different "solutions" to the problem, and they too worked well in their own way.

I won't spoil the aura of success with details of the project due for next week, but I can say it has me quaking in my shoes already. I have a lot to live up to now.


2 comments: