Monday, March 8, 2010

Color comes first

Now that I'm getting serious about my assignments on color theory for my design class, I need to change my work habits -- I need the morning light to work with the different colored papers and appreciate their relationships with each other. My project is still "in process," so it's not particularly exciting. Besides, I had several conversations with Ulla on BDL stuff and coordinating our travel plans all the while I was cutting.

Much more exciting are the colorful masks made by master carvers from the Borucan peoples of Costa Rica on exhibition at the
Marie Selby Gardens. Wow! intricate designs carved from a single piece of balsa wood, and then painted. Originally the masks depicted fierce creatures and were used in ceremonies, then masks were made of forest creatures, and now they may be a combination. The walls were covered -- and most of the masks were sold already (the exhibition open
ed last Thursday). Just as well, and also just as well that I'm not searching for artifacts for my office wall, otherwise I'm sure I would have succumbed!

We took the opportunity to walk along the downtown waterfront,
where Jack tried to decide on his next boat, and lunched at Marina Jack's.









Which leaves writing as an evening activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment