Friday, March 5, 2010

Personal Logo (Crest)

I've finished my Fundamentals of Design I Personal Logo assignment -- at least I'm willing to leave it as "the best I can do for now". There are many flaws that I would try to correct if I did it over -- but that's not the current project.
It's more of a Personal Crest than a logo -- it's far too complicated to communicate as a logo. And, like all crests, it needs an explanation about the symbolism.

My crest is a lozenge shape for a woman, with four quadrants. The upper left signifies England -- I wanted to maintain the traditional 3 lions, but the direction of the middle one is reversed (looking elsewhere). The lower left is the US eagle -- but in a state of becoming. (If it looks more like a dove than an eagle, that's my lack of craft.) The upper right is the fleur de lis of the scholar -- but deconstructed. (I like the double symbolism of the fleur de lis also being the emblem of French kings, and French philosophers taking the lead with deconstruction.) And the bottom right is uniquely me --my initials, trying to escape the boundaries that I have set for myself.

Your comments are requested!

3 comments:

  1. I like your logo and it looks like you put a lot of time into it. My thought with a logo is that it wants to be fairly simple so that it can easily be remembered and recognized- kind of like a jingle or slogan- "where's the beef" - been decades but I still remember it. I like the initials and how it is escaping the boundaries- just something simple like that might be enough- you could even put wings on the 'W' if you wanted another symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point is well taken. The design became complicated when I researched my initial idea of a shield that would show UK and US affiliation, and I made the lozenge shape with four areas. When I showed it to the prof, he suggested that I "complicate" my literal representation. (He nicknamed me "lady literal.") Then I became engrossed in the "Craft" of drawing, cutting, and rubber-cementing. .. and you see the result. Maybe now I can "work backwards" and make a simple logo -- but only after I have finished this week's color assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you really want comments from me??? If your prof thinks you are literal, what would he think of the way my mind works?

    I do like Mary's idea of creating a "logo" from your initials, but I also like the shield. If you end up with a design you love, you could have a pin made with the shield.

    p.s. the more I look at your shield, the more it looks 3-dimensional,sort of like an optical illusion--love it!

    ReplyDelete